Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Everyday Hearth Bread

Wow! I hope my neighbor doesn't mind me sharing this recipe, but it was seriously to die for! My husband and I ate an entire loaf in one night and then I called her the next day for the recipe. For those of you who eat out at Johnny Corinos, this bread tastes just like the bread they serve with their olive oil dippings. Yum! Perfect to eat by itself, dipped in olive oil, or with any Italian dish like we did tonight with spaghetti and meatballs. I'm still mad at myself for not taking a picture of the loaf my neighbor Heather brought over, because it looked like it was out of a magazine, but mine will have to do

Everyday Hearth Bread
Recipe adapted by Heather Moore (original is from Kristin Trevino)
1 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp sea salt
3/4 tsp each of rosemary and Italian seasoning
½ tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
4-6 cups high quality bread flour (or all purpose with added 1/4 cup wheat gluten)
Kosher salt for top (regular salt will melt and not work)


Mix first 3 in bowl, add herbs, oil, and pepper. Add flour 1 cup at a time and add salt after first two cups of flour. Add flour until tack to touch- not sticky (I used 5 cups bread flour). Knead until supple and smooth. (5 minutes in mixer or 10 by hand) Place dough in oiled bowl and rise until doubled. Punch down and form into 2-3 loaves. Place on oiled/greased cookie sheet and cover with oiled saran wrap. Rise until almost doubled. Spray or drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on kosher salt generously. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, golden brown or 190 inside temperature. Cool on rack so bottoms don’t get soggy!

No comments: