Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas


Oh my gosh these were amazing! I literally went right from the table to the computer to post them. My sister gave me the recipe and said they were amazing without cheese so I decided to try it out. Usually that isn't the case, but these really are amazing without any dairy AND they are also vegetarian too- so saves you on your grocery bill too. My family finished the entire pan, so if you have more than 4 to serve, you may want to double the recipe. 
*Note: My sister said these were really spicy, but I always rinse my green chilies in a strainer and didn't think they were spicy what so ever. Trust me I would have heard complaining. So if you like them spicy dump them in, if you want to take off some of the heat just rinse them first-works like a charm.

Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas
Recipe adapted slightly from my sister Brooke at foursisterskitchens
Makes 6-8 enchiladas

2 tsp olive oil

1/2 cup- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (I used 1/2 cup)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 bell pepper. I used mini so about 15 of those)
1 (20 ounce) can of Pineapple Tidbits, drained (keep the juice)
1/3 cup Pineapple juice, reserved (from above)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ( 4 1/2 ounce) can chopped green chiles 
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (10 ounce) can mild enchilada sauce (red, not green)
8 flour tortillas (8 or 9")

Heat oven to 350 and spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. In a nonstick skillet heat oil and add onion and red pepper and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Stir in Pineapple, beans, green chiles, and salt. Cook and stir until well heated. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cilantro.

Spoon and spread about 1 Tbsp enchilada sauce onto each tortilla. Then spoon in 1/2 cup- 3/4 cup of the vegetable mixture over sauce (I did 3/4 c) Roll up tortillas and set them seam side down into the pan. 

Mix the reserved 1/3 cup of pineapple juice with remaining enchilada sauce and pour over the entire surface of enchiladas.  Spray sheet of foil large enough to cover baking dish with cooking spray and place sprayed side down over the dish, seal tight.

Bake for 35 minutes until sauce is bubbly. Garnish with extra cilantro.

*Note to Bake with Dairy: These enchiladas don't need sour cream or cheese, they are that good! But I know some of my readers still like to add cheese so if you do, just add 2 cups of cheese to the mixture (with the cilantro) and then top the enchiladas with an additional cup of cheese and bake as directed.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just started a dairy free diet. This was the first thing I made for my family. We all LOVED it and can't wait to eat it again. This will be a regular meal in our house.....so excited!! Thanks so much.

Nicole said...

Anonymous-
Thank you so much for commenting. These enchiladas are definitely loved by all who try them- myself included! :)